Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Skin Basics

One of my early posts on this blog was a vlog about my daily makeup routine so I decided to go back to my roots for this one and expand upon that earlier idea by also including a bit about my daily skincare routine. And so here it is (and please feel free to contact if you have any questions about the products I’ll be discussing (which are all, FYI, cruelty free))! 

Skin Care

Skin Care 

1. I start off every day with a bit of cold water and some Cetaphil face wash (see the product review here) – I’ve used Cetaphil for almost a decade now and I swear by the stuff; it’s gentle and deep-cleaning 

2. After washing I put on some Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Liquid Sun Block, SPF 70 or higher. Unlike most sunscreens, this one is gentle and non-greasy on my face and offers a lot of protection. If you aren’t using sunscreen already, START! 

3. Next I put a bit of Aveeno tinted moisturizer on (I also like Avon’s Mark line for this) – it adds a bit more SPF protection and provides just enough tint to even out my skin tone and help me avoid needing to wear foundation 

4. At the end of the day (and see below for my daily makeup regimen), I use Almay oil free makeup remover to get everything off – even when I’m exhausted and a bit stumble-bum from vino consumption I always take the time to clean off my makeup properly, and so should you 

5. After another wash with Cetaphil, which also works great as a makeup remover, I use a bit of witch hazel as a toner – it’s natural, very gentle, and soothes skin perfectly (check out my full product review here

6. Next comes moisturizing – I like to use something a bit more heavy duty for overnight and Origins has some great face and body creams

7. More moisturizing with Origins

8. I usually throw on some Burt’s Bees lip balm before bed and wake up with deliciously soft lips



Daily Wear

And, now, onto my daily makeup routine. 

I love makeup, but I am very much a minimalist (except for a special night on the town with my helpmeet or a lady friend) and really avoid using a lot of products. 

1. After my moisturizing routine, I start with some primer. I’m a big fan of the Smashbox one but Avon also has great one called Magix that I regularly use 

2. After that I use a bit of Neutragena’s Brightening Eye Perfector as needed. I absolutely adore this product for dark circles under my eyes – it works brilliantly! 

3. A follow this with a dash of MAC pressed powder 

4. And then a few sweeps of blush – an easy way to brighten up your face and add some definition to those cheekbones 

5. Next I apply some liquid liner near my lash line – Stila makes a great liner and I also love the MAC and Avon brand eyeliner pots 

6. I follow this with a little white shimmery shadow in the corners of my eye to brighten and widen them 

7. Then I sweep a very pale shadow on my lids – I like to use something very neutral in tone and am a fan of MAC and also Sonya Kashuk for Target 

8. If you’re not using an eyelash curler already I highly recommend it – it’s an easy way to open your eyes and works especially well if you are planning to go sans mascara that day 

9. I’m a big fan of Neutrogena’s line of mascaras but I also use Almay 

10. I finish things off with a bit of MAC matte lipstick in Hue – my go-to shade. Sometimes I find a bit drying on my lips so I often dab some Hempz lip gloss on top which nourishes my pout while providing a bit of shine 

So there you have it! Do you have any skincare tricks to share or products you love?

17 comments:

Unknown said...

As a veggie I'm always looking for cruelty free products so thanks for sharing your top picks! I would like to try out a tinted moisturizer- have added Aveeno to the list!

welldressedmaker said...

I've been really curious about Origins products. And I'm on the search for a good moisturizer with spf. one with +50 is always a good one in my book!
♥ laura
the blog of worldly delights

Alexa said...

Love this...and love that light pink shade of lipstick. Reminds me of spring.

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I love Aveeno moisturizer!

Emma said...

Burts Bees is the best! I Love all of your picks.

Marie a la Mode said...

I use Neutrogena moisturizer too. And I love MAC's Hue, it's such a pretty color!

Amber Blue Bird said...

I am gonna have to try out that Neutragena Brightening Eye Perfector. I have tried everything for dark circles and nothing has ever really worked.

Annie L said...

Cetaphil facewash is a must for dry winters, and I need to start using an eyelash curler!
xo Annie

Anonymous said...

Several of those skin care items are sitting on my bathroom counter right now!

Bella said...

I was just reading something about how Cetaphil is pure evil, but I cannot find the link for you. I am curious about the witch hazel. I've heard good things about it.

Jessica Weingarten said...

Aaah I have been the WORST blogger lately. I am glad to be back though, I really missed your blog!

I'm a huge fan of Origins. You should try their Brighter By Nature pads if you have't already. Three of them have the power of a microdermabrasion treatment!

Closet Fashionista said...

I am so bad with skincare, I randomly wash my face and randomly put on makeup...I nee to start making things consistent
http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

Courtney Erin said...

@Bella - some people are critical of the various chemicals in it and, while the parabens do suck, it's actually helped brighten my skin and is very non-irritating...but I get why not everyone is a fan.

Kassi said...

I am a skin care vagabond. I haven't settled into any one routine. I will have to try out some of the products you suggested, maybe they will fit the bill!

http://theclosetintervention.blogspot.com/

Bri said...

I like the sound of the witch hazel toner and what you said on your vlog I'm going to try that and the Aveeno Tinted moisturizer!

Ashleigh said...

I've been a fan of the Almay remover wipes for years, good stuff! I'm on the hunt for a good liquid eyeliner, I've been eyeing MAC (heehee) but thanks for the tips on Stila & Avon pots!

Elle Sees said...

i LOVE seeing what others use, so i was smitten with this post!