Sunday, January 30, 2011

Who Didn't Hit a Snag at the SAGs

Yeah, I know. My word play is getting decidedly less sparkling. Gimme a break, I was super sick all week and Connecticut got hit with another massive snow fall that resulted in 1/2 of my committee not being able to make it to my chapter conference (which I didn't find out before I hauled my sorry sick self to campus by taking a 30 minute walk through giant snow banks) and the whole thing had to get rescheduled for this coming Thursday.

And now on to the SAG awards. Here are my picks for best and worst dressed:

My Favorites


Winona Ryder - she was probably my favorite part of Black Swan and even though I'm usually not one for big white dresses that may be confused with wedding gowns, I'm totally digging this



Mila Kunis - she looks perfect in this McQueen



Kyra Sedgwick - this is Thierry Mugler (who I adore) and the gals at Go Fug Yourself describe it as a "black velvet strapless with an intriguingly Maleficent-y neckline" and if Maleficent is involved I'm totally all in



Jane Krakowski - she looks gorgeous and I love all the glitz of the sequins and the overall fun factor of the dress, she's obviously very pregnant (and glowing) but this is very "let's get martinis at 3 in the afternoon" and I love that



Dianna Agron - I think this is an absolutely adorable dress and I love the cut of it



Christina Hendricks - I just love that this is sort of witchy and sparkly and very femme fatale and think she looks radiant



Annette Bening - seriously, she just looks amaze balls




My Less-Than-Favorites


Natalie Portman - I can't quite put my finger on what exactly I don't like about this but it seems a little matronly and doesn't really do her beautiful pregnant figure much justice



Melissa Leo - she looked so amazing at the Globes...I guess I was just expecting more and this is just doing odd things to her figure and, even for me, is a bit too shiny



Julie Bowen - seriously, this lady (who is so hilariously funny and gorgeous) just can't seem to catch a break when it comes to red carpet fashion. C'mon, a pant suit?!



Angie Harmon - sigh. I love Angie Harmon (well, I probably loved her on Law and Order more than I actually love her...also, I really really miss Law and Order) but this is too much. Too much pink, too much frill, too much tulle and she's lost in it.


all images from style.com

34 comments:

Emma said...

I Hope you feel better soon !

Anonymous said...

There were a lot of gorgeous dresses this time!

Penny Dreadful Vintage said...

Excelent, I hadn't seen lots of these. Annette Bening and Julia Stiles are stand-out for me. I think perhaps it might be the under-belly creses on Natalie's dress which are off-putting. The frock is her usual style, but I hate seeing creases on the red carpet x

Diana Mieczan said...

I also really loved Mila's dress. She looked totally stunning.
Happy Monday, darling. Stay cozy and warm:)
Muah

Twenty.Something said...

Great photos!! I actually love Julia Stiles' look... fabulous!

fashion provocateur said...

i was hoping someone would post from last nights event!!
looks great i think i liked the golden globes better but the mcqueen looks amazingg
awesome photos thank you for posting
check out my blog if you get a chance
cheers!!!

www.fashionprovocateur.wordpress.com

Closet Fashionista said...

Oooh love Wynona and Mila!! :D Sooo gorgeous :D
http://aclosetfashionista.blogspot.com/

laura said...

Boo for sickness! I hope you feel better soon. I HEART Christina Hendricks, and I HEART what she wore. I think she makes everything look sensual. I realize I sound like a creepy perv, but I assure you, I'm not. Natalie Portman, in my opinion, just hasn't been taking advantage of her baby bump. Her dress for the GG was just UGH. That gigantic red rose was just horrid and just ruined that dress. OK, ramble end.

Pearl Westwood said...

Couldnt agree more Winona looks wonderful!!! Cant wait to see Black Swan x

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Mila walked away with it for me. LOVED the McQueen!

Bonnie said...

Mila Kunis is so hot. Hahaahahaa. Seriously, though.
Lea Michele also looked really cute in another de la Renta gown!

http://glamkittenslitterbox.blogspot.com/

Charleston said...

the black swan looked STUNNING

www.pinstripeprince.blogspot.com

Kenziefaith said...

I think Julia Stiles looks awwwesome. I love that dress!

KF x

Marie a la Mode said...

I loved Mila Kunis's dress and I agree with you on Natalie Portman's. I wasn't a fan. Even though I don't like Julia Stiles as an actress I think her dress was beautiful!

Unknown said...

Amazing dresses. Thanks for sharing.

noone said...

Mindy Kaling is hilarious I totally agree! haha I love her in 40 year old virgin and on the office. I don't mind natalie portman, she is getting huge, I think that's fairly stylish for maternity clothes!

Michelle said...

We agreed on almost everything! I LOOOVED Mila, Kira, and Julia the most. Feel better!

bm said...

the most amazing dresses !!

http://www.theupperfashion.com
http://www.theupperfashion.com

Pamela said...

1. Boo for being sick. Get well soon.
2. I don't ever like redhead lady from Glee's choices. It's like she goes out of her way to distinguish herself from the Miss Priss character onscreen and ends up with wacky "Cher" like dresses that make me uncomfortable.
3. Portman's dress was tres lackluster. I expected more. I didn't like her GG one either with that weirdo red rose in front.
4. Ryder's pouffer is adorable, very wedding-like.
5. Benning is clearly the belle of the ball. Such beauty! That Beatty is one lucky lucky man.

Style, She Wrote said...

Love Mila Kunis' look and Jennifer Lawrence too! xo style, she wrote

Isabel said...

julia stiles was one of my favourites. she looked fab!

this free bird said...

Mila stole the show!! I love that dress and it looks amazing on her. I've been watching too much of that mind numbing Bachelor and can't stop saying amazing, amazing, amazing. HELPPPPP MEEEEEE!!!

jess said...

I love Mila Kunis' dress. The print is great.

Ashley [Free Honey] said...

Not sure if I'm just tired or if we are just sharing a brain right now, but I completely agree with absolutely everything you just said, haha. I hadn't actually seen all of Julia Stiles' gown, (only from the neck up), but she looks amazing and I love it, and I'm usually not a huge ffan of her.

Great recap!
xo, Ashley

J. said...

Jenna Fischer breaks my heart every red carpet!!! I feel like she could look so incredbile but always ends up matronly :(

LyddieGal said...

I think Mila's is my favorite, and that the dress has a bit of 'covered in blood' vibe, which feels black swan fitting.

Chic on the Cheap

Jennifer Fabulous said...

Mila was my absolute favorite. :) That shade of red is STUNNING on her. xo

Unknown said...

ha is it weird that I thought mindy kaling was rachael ray at first? ;) mila and kyra looked absolutely divine!

xoxo

Ellen ♥ said...

Get well soon :)

Yay for your Favorites! :)

ellenreviews.blogspot.com

The Mad Twins said...

Jane Krakowski is so beautiful! and the dress she is wearing is so pretty!

Perdita Tinsel said...

...hmmm...bacofoil? Marathon-runner-1st-aid-blanket? What IS that dress made of?

Kirsty Girl said...

havent seen black swan yet but i do love winona!! :)

Becky said...

enjoyed this! mila is definitely my favorite...what a babe. she can pull off anything.

www.playgroundlovevintage.blogspot.com

Fashion Limbo said...

Im hopelessly in love with that McQueen Mila Kunis is wearing...the print is amazing and the cut is so fantastic...my favourite out of all, no doubt