Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Busy Bee in Polka Dots


My polka dot dress makes another appearance! This is quickly becoming my favorite dress; I love the fit, the colour, the pattern, and the little sleeves. A contrast skinny belt completes things. Never mind the sour face, my crazy (and rude and disrespectful) neighbours kept me up until 4 am ... and I even had to call the cops twice to get them to stop.

dress: H&M / boots: Aldo / belt: H&M / tights: Target

In other news, things have been going pretty great lately. I am pleased to announce that my dissertation to book project is almost finished and I hope to be approaching publishers soon. I wrote a book! 

I've also been hard at work on a new grant/research proposal that I hope will prove fruitful and allow me to get back into the archives. I am, likewise, busy building a website for myself to showcase my research, scholarship, and teaching (fellow academics, do you have a personal website? Have you found them helpful on the job market?). 

I've got a lead on a great job that I am really excited about and the helpmeet and I went out and bought a shiny used car (but it's new to us). 

Needless to say, it's been a very busy few weeks! But I think the topper for me has been getting to see one of my favorite movies, Jaws, on the big screen in 35 mm at a local theater, Metro Cinema. An event which was preceded by a delicious sushi feast. Yeah, that was a good night.

16 comments:

LyddieGal said...

wow, you are done with your book! that is pretty amazing.
I hope you get the job, and i hope you neighbors settle down (or at least take a hint)

Love the dress, my favorite mix of colors.
Chic on the Cheap

JennaStevie said...

Congrats on finishing your book and having a lead on a job! These really have been busy weeks for you, that's so awesome to hear! I do love this dress, I can see why its becoming a favorite, it looks so great paired with the boots.
Sorry to hear about the crappy neighbours :(
xJennaD

Alexa said...

Ah things sound like they are going swimmingly. Congrats on the book and the job lead AND the car! :)

Closet Fashionista said...

WOOHOOOO!!! Sounds like everything is going swimmingly, except the neighbors. I do have a personal website and it has gotten me a few emails for jobs, but unfortunately they are dumb jobs that I would never want, ha ha...
http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

Marie a la Mode said...

I love this dress on you! And congrats on all the good things that are happening in your life! Looks like everything's coming together nicely, minus the stupid neighbours!

Veena said...

You look so pretty in that polka dot dress, those colors are incredible! Congratulations with everything that's been going on too :)

♡ veena | seveninchstilettos.com
twitter/instagram: @veenamccoole

Raquelita said...

Woman, you work fast! I'm impressed that you have a manuscript ready to send to publishers so quickly. I haven't heard of websites particularly helping candidates on the job market in history, but I also haven't heard of anything to indicate that they are a liability.

Jessica said...

I love your polka dot dress. In fact, I just purchased a dress very similar to yours and I cannot wait to wear it to work tomorrow.

So sorry to hear about your horrible neighbors. I have been very lucky in the past and for the most part have had okay neighbors. At least no one ever kept me awake until 4 am.

Congrats on your book. I cannot wait to see a published copy of it. And I'm crossing my fingers that that great job lead pays off for you.

Tracy @ Sunny Days and Starry Nights

alison*elle said...

Wow, sounds like you're doing some really amazing things. Congratulations!! And that is awful about your annoying neighbours... would drive me crazy!

xo, alison*elle

StyleIDnet said...

DOTS!! Love the dress. really cute on you and needless to say how much I love dots :)
So glad to hear that you are doing well and busy in what you love.
xx,
* STYLE ID NET *

Bad Joan said...

Cute dress!

GTBB,
Bad Joan
http://badjoan.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Congrats with the book!!! Sounds cool and I really hope everything works out well!! :)


Feel free to visit my blog! I hope you like it and wants to follow me! :)

www.fashionaddict09.blogspot.be

Elle Sees said...

you've been kicking ass lately! and a cute dress helps!

Annie L said...

Love this dress!...And wow, congrats on getting published!
xo Annie
newenglandromance.blogspot.com

welldressedmaker said...

you HAVE been busy, busy, busy! Glad to hear the book is in order and that you're prepping for the new hiring cycle!
I am so glad that my neighbors are old because I don't have to worry about calling the cops on them. I think they may be calling the cops on me.
♥ laura
the blog of worldly delights
the shop of worldly delights

Oh to Be a Muse said...

Congrats Courtney! I'm so happy to hear that you wrote a book. Now, if only you could get new neighbors.