Friday, March 14, 2014

All the Frills: Scents

This week’s edition of the All the Frills Friday is about scents – more specifically, my little home perfume station (also known as the oversized plate I bought at Target 5 years ago as a Halloween decoration and just loved too much to box up when the holiday was over). Like many, I’ve experimented with a lot of different scents over the years but have landed on 4 as my signature ones: Fendi, the classic Chanel No. 5, and Thierry Mugler’s Angel and Alien (these are special favourites as the bottles are refillable via a perfume pump that most major department stores have, so repeat purchases are less costly and wasteful in terms of packaging. They also have a little perfume club going where they send free stuff on your birthday…that’s why I have the lotion versions of both scents, as you can see in the photos). 

The little skull box is one that I snagged at a super kitschy shop in Salem, MA, the last time I was there – back when I was still living in Connecticut and finishing the PhD. It’s where the helpmeet and I keep our wedding bands. And, strangely, we actually have multiple ones. When we got married we purchased replica sixteenth-century English poesy rings (yeah, that was my idea) that are very nice but not at all costly. Well, over the past 8 years of marriage we’ve both lost our bands at least once and replaced them, only to have the originals resurface. So we each have a few of those. Then my helpmeet’s friend won a gift certificate for two wedding bands at a wedding expo and gave it us as he and his fiancé had already picked their bands. Well we ordered a new set of bands and they arrived with a gift certificate for another set! So we ordered another and they came with a new certificate, and so on. Seriously, we still have an unused gift certificate to use and that will end up with us having another new one to use! I keep meaning to email the company with a friendly suggestion that they rethink that policy but I’ve been too busy cashing in on wedding bands that I don’t really need. 


Suggested Weekend Reading:


6 comments:

Closet Fashionista said...

So much prettiness! I love all the bottles
And that is a very interesting roundup of articles, he he
http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

FASHION TALES said...

Great photos! I love perfume bottles, and collect several old ones that I've had passed down. I love Chanel No.5, still have not used mine up yet either though. Thanks for the article links! :)

HailesHeartsFashion said...

I am always so undecided on Chanel no.5. It smells good on other people but it really does not suit me :/ I's bizarre. Quite like Thierry Mugler’s Angel but my go to is alllwaayys Marc Jacobs.

Happy Spring!
Hailes<3
Hailes Hearts Fashion.

Marie a la Mode said...

You have quite the collection! I only have 2 perfumes ; )

welldressedmaker said...

I very much LOVE your gorgeous perfume station, Courtney! That tray is the perfect score!!! AND that Skull box? <3<3<3

Elle Sees said...

my perfume collection pales in comparison. i love your choices.

i can't wait to read the link about idioms!! i'm serious! :)