Friday, March 1, 2019

All the Frills: Keeping My House In Order With a Toddler

I think I’ve done a pretty good job of not letting baby stuff take over my main living space too much (my basement is another story). Of course it’s not some great tragedy to have baby stuff all over the place but I wanted to try to preserve my living room and dining room as “adult” spaces, even while knowing that they had to work on a practical level with the reality of having a toddler (I can't believe she's already a toddler!).

Eleanor’s room is all decked out, of course, for her to play in, and the basement is littered with a lot of bigger toys for her, but we’re all home from work and daycare by about 5:30 pm and bedtime is at 7:30 pm and there are meals to cook and cats to feed in that time so the reality is that we mostly still stay in the main floor space and only hang out in her room and the basement when we have longer stretches of time and no other side jobs we’re trying to get done in that time (just not the case during the work week but feasible on the weekends). I think I’ve done pretty well of not letting toys and everything else take over the space: a high chair that’s about as discreet as I can get, a few dedicated book shelves for toys and kid’s books, larger toys tucked neatly in a corner, a toy chest that fits the aesthetic of the room, and the most adorable chair for a kid ever made (and not pictured but essential is a baby gate to keep her penned in this space so I can be in the kitchen cooking and simultaneously have my eyes on her at all times).





Weekend Reading:


5 comments:

JennaStevie said...

Your space looks so good, definitely not taken over by baby stuff!
The amount of judgment over women not breastfeeding is insane, it’s not physically possible for some & people aren’t kind.
I’m so glad I have never experienced that level of road rage!
Jenna

Lydia said...

From what I've seen of people with babies, it's hard to not let their things seep into every corner of the house, so I'd say that is a pretty amazing accomplishment.

Thanks for sharing the mac and cheese ratings. While I usually make my own, sometimes I really just get a craving for the box stuff, I go with Annie's white cheddar all the way.

Chic on the Cheap

Cee said...

I think you've done a great job of preserving the balance between having a toddler and still keeping your home an adult space. It isn't easy - kids and their things can easily take over, and the exhaustion that comes from having them sometimes means that it's just easier to let it happen. I'm impressed by the way you've kept it all together :)
xox,
Cee

awhite said...

You've done a killer job of not letting E's stuff take over the entire house- my friends with kids rage about this! Kids really do have SO much stuff, so it's understandable. Your living room and kitchen have a very nice balance!

-Ashley
Le Stylo Rouge

Lorena said...

I totally agree ! You've been able to maintain the space without E declaring it her territory ;)
I have friends whose homes are like huge playgrounds from the moment you walk in...