Monday, January 17, 2011

Who Was Golden at the Globes?

Looks I Loved

(all images are from www.style.com)

Tina Fey in L'Wren Scott - I just loved the navy color on her and the dress has a sort of vintage feel to it that I adored.


Tilda Swinton in a Jil Sander skirt - okay, most people will disagree with me on this but I think Tilda has a very distinctive personal style that she consistently pulls off. Dressing is about making a statement and I think she does that and I'm on board for it.

Olivia Wilde in Marchesa - this gown was simply gorgeous (Marchesa usually is) and I applaud Wilde for keeping everything else about this look to a minimum (although I would have like to have seen a bit more styling in her hair; some soft curls, maybe a nice sleek ponytail?).

Mila Kunis in Vera Wang - forest green was a popular shade last night (and it's one of my favorite colors) and Mila just looked radiant in this dress.

Kyra Sedgwick in Emilio Pucci - this mustard color was a bold choice and she executed it beautifully with the hints of turquoise in her accessories.

Julianne Moore in Lanvin - again, I know most people will dispute this but I thought this was a bold choice and this dress is so structurally interesting that I really enjoyed it.

Helena Bonham Carter in Vivienne Westwood - again, I know most people hated this but it's bizarre and fun and very much Carter's personal style (which, while you may not like it, you have to acknowledge is very pronounced and always interesting).

Gabourey Sidibe (not sure who made the dress) - I loved the color and sparkle on this dress, it made such a statement and was a breath of fresh air.

Eva Longoria in Zac Posen - what a tasteful and elegant dress, I loved the cap sleeves and waist bow.

Catherine Zeta Jones in Monique Lhuillier - another forest green dress and she looks amazing in it.

Carrie Underwood in Badgley Mischka - I just really enjoyed this dress. Great sparkles, great fit, great look.

Angelina Jolie in Atelier Versace - green again. And crystals! This dress has a sort of 80s Dynasty vibe to it but I think she really pulls it off and looks quite elegant.


Looks I Was Less Fond Of



Scarlett Johansson in Elie Saab - I sort of like the dress but when you pair it with the hair she kind of looks like the Bride of Frankenstein. Which ordinarily I would be on board for but I don't think she's trying for that in an ironic way.

Natalie Portman in Viktor and Rolf - I don't know, I just don't like this. I can't even really put my finger on why.

Michelle Williams in Valentino - I thought the daisy pattern in the dress was distracting (the structure of the dress itself is quite beautiful) and a little weird.

Kaley Cuoco in Katharine Kidd - I think that this is one of those dresses where if you see it in person it's probably quite gorgeous but in all the images I saw she just sort of looked like a tiered cake. And not in a good way.

Julie Bowen in Maz Azria Atelier - again, I think up close this dress was probably lovely but the color is really just washing her out and all the detail work on the bodice and train is just too much.


Jennifer Love Hewitt in Ramona Keveza - I don't know about this. She looks like a bride. Or a marshmallow. And not in a good way.

January Jones in Versace - she's the new face of Versace for Spring/Summer 2011 so I understand the logic of the choice but seriously, this is just too much. I thought it was kind of bizarre.

Emma Stone in Calvin Klein - just too much peach. She looks like a giant column of peach and there's no excitement or glamor here.

Christina Hendricks in Romona Keveza - I loved the color on her and the fit and her hair and makeup are great but the decoration at the neck coupled with the big hair is just too much.

Anne Hathway in Armani Prive - I want to like this so badly and the back of it was stunning but she looks like an extra on Dynasty. Which normally I would think was amaze balls but it's just not doing it for me right now.

28 comments:

Isabel said...

every one is loving emma stone. but shes all the same colour. i cant tell where the dress ends and her skin begins. in general all the nude dresses were nos for me. particularily scarlett.

Closet Fashionista said...

Haha I agree with some, but not all of your choices ;) I did NOT like Gabourey, Tilda, Eva and Julianne, haha...and some of your likes I liked ;)
http://aclosetfashionista.blogspot.com/

Laura said...

So many gorgeous gowns! Carrie Underwood and Mila Kunis are on my favorite list as well. But personally I loved Hathaway's dress the most!!

Raquelita said...

I saw a lot of people proclaiming their love for Natalie Portman's look, but I am not a fan of the flower detail on that dress. I will disagree with you on Christina Hendricks. I think she has an amazing fiery lion goddess thing going on.

The Sunday Girl said...

hello :) didnt you feel watching it last night that a lot of the looks werent anything new and that we had seen them a billion times before? I thought mila kunis looked goregous and i also loved scarlette jo;s elie saab dress :) x

Lauren RZ said...

Tina Fey and Mila Kunis=love forever!! Two of my favorites! Portman would have look adorable in that dress if you could actually tell she was pregnant and the baby-bump didn't look like a fashion mistake.

Vegan Caesar dressing: Have you tried kalamata olive paste as a sub for anchovy and tamari instead of worcestershire? That would be delicious.

~Lauren<3
http://tennesseemirepoix.blogspot.com

Angel said...

Very elegance :)

Marie a la Mode said...

I wasn't a fan of Natalie Portman's dress either. I thought Emma Stone look amazing though!

Penny Dreadful Vintage said...

Ha, I am split down the middle - I love some of the looks you hate and vice versa! We are agreed on the green though, it is a gorgeous colour and looked stunning on all the girls.

Unknown said...

Beautiful dresses. I really love it.

Unknown said...

i loved Eva's dress! - i love structed lines like that in black!

Elle Sees said...

loved olivia's dress...like heavenly night skies

Michelle said...

I don't think anyone did it better than Olivia Wilde. That dress is so gorgeous. And one thing I noticed in your photos - can you see Eva Longoria's underwear lines??? That's rare for a red carpet!

JLUVBIRDEE said...

Hey Sweetie, you have a Blog Award on my blog.

jluvbirdee.blogspot.com

Nnenna said...

So glad you did this post- I missed the Globes last night but really wanted to see what everyone wore! My favorites are Mila Kunis and Olivia Wilde and I think most disappointing is Natalie Portman because I love her and I want her to look good!

Angsthase said...

I think Tilda is maybe my favourite. She just looks so much like herself, in all of her ordinary glamour and mystery, without the ego of an intense dress added. I loved that Olivia Wilde wore a dress that was very different to the simple dresses she normally wears and I kept on so badly wanting to like Natalie Portman's dress - for the fact that she's lovely, she won, it's Victor & Rolf and that it must be really hard to dress for and walk the red carpet pregnant, but the placement of that rose is killing me - the awkward length of the stalk, the size of the flower, the fact it's so eye-catching... Argh. But I kind of liked Scarlett Johansson's Bride of Frankenstein look. I think she dressed against her type and I applaud that and I quite like the wild hair.

Jessica Weingarten said...

Yuppp we are pretty much parallel on this front! I don't get why everyone is making such a fuss about Tilda's outfit, it was one of her best yet! I agree, her style is very atypial but I think she looks really regal.

Dynasty seemed to be a reoccuring theme last night, definitely NOT a good thing! :p

-Jess

Emma said...

I really Do like Olivia Wilde's dress. She looks like a Princess.

Robyn said...

I feel like with a bold necklace, and her red hair obviously, Emma stone's would have won more best dressed votes. Also, it looked way more dynamic on TV than it has in photos today.

*perm pics? PLEASE.

LyddieGal said...

Celebrities certainly do like to make statements with their gowns.
Black and gold sparkly ball gown all the way.

Chic on the Cheap

Collette Osuna said...

Love Olivias dress.....she looks like a princess:) Great choices!

Stop by and say Hello:)
Enter my Lulus Giftcard Giveaway!!♥

Fashion Limbo said...

it's funny but I agree a lot of the wrong look came as a result of bad hair styling, as in Miss Hendricks,and the same with Olivia Wilde, loved the dress and as you say with a pony tail it would have been so much better!

For me generally the selection of dresses was a tad boring...safe bets as Marchesa, Valentino and Versace are ok, but apart from ok, nothing exciting.

Really liked reading this review. Good selection of images :)

Rebecca said...

see, i personally liked bonham carter's look too! just because it's different, lots of people hated it...

http://itscohen.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I love Carrie Underwood.... she always looks flawless. In regards to your comment at Inspired... do you have a cardio dance workout dvd that you'd recommend? xo

noone said...

haha I love Kaley Cuoco's character on big bang, I think she looks great in there. and yeah Mila Kunis's dress= amazing

Ashleigh said...

Mila & Catherine were my faves that night. I did not even realize Helena had on mismatched/matched shoes. I did that once in 5th grade! (don't judge me!) She does make bold choices but she owns it so it works. Michelle was absolutely my least favorite of the night, that dress reminds me of something we'd see looking back to an early 90's awards show, gross.

Lisa said...

Great choices, I hadn't seen all of these. I almost did a post about this but know don't have to although I would put Mila on the best dressed list and take Angelina off as I don;t think the dress was very flattering on for her. Otherwise I'm agree:) with you and I too liked Helena's look..she has such a unique interesting style

Megan said...

I loved Olivia's dress too - I want to own it and wear it around my house! :)

MeggyD from Chasing Davies