Friday, August 26, 2011

Wood Nymph

The romantic pleating and chiffon on this skirt make me think of wood nymphs and other sprites. The blazer brings it back a little from a more ethereal place, I think.



skirt: gift / shoes: Tory Burch / tank: Target / blazer: H&M / cuff: Ann Taylor

The Nymph's Reply – Walter Ralegh

If all the world and love were young,
And truth in every shepherd's tongue,
These pretty pleasures might me move
To live with thee and be thy love.

Time drives the flocks from field to fold,
When rivers rage and rocks grow cold,
And Philomel becometh dumb;
The rest complains of cares to come.

The flowers do fade, and wanton fields
To wayward winter reckoning yields;
A honey tongue, a heart of gall,
Is fancy's spring, but sorrow’s fall.

Thy gowns, thy shoes, thy beds of roses,
Thy cap, thy kirtle, and thy posies
Soon break, soon wither, soon forgotten,
In folly ripe, in reason rotten.

Thy belt of straw and ivy buds,
The coral clasps and amber studs,
All these in me no means can move
To come to thee and be thy love.

But could youth last and love still breed,
Had joys no date nor age no need,
Then these delights my mind might move
To live with thee and be thy love.









And, for anyone interested in a getting a bit of a jump of fall shopping, Eshakti is offering readers of Sartorial Sidelines $20 on their awesome selection of clothes. Just enter the code SARTORIAL0811 at checkout! The offer is good until September 15 … happy shopping.

Don’t forget to like me on Facebook, follow me on Twitter, and subscribe to my YouTube channel!

27 comments:

Closet Fashionista said...

I just love the color of that skirt!!
(and yayyyy for nymphs, haha, I want to be a pretty nymph :) )
http://www.closet-fashionista.com

Unknown said...

The color combination here is really unique. Is that a navy blazer? With the black and the teal it all comes together really nicely.

MosaMuse said...

very beautiful...and so soft! love it.
i really hope u never change ur hair color!!
xo
MosaMuse

MosaMuse.blogspot.com

Marie a la Mode said...

Gorgeous skirt, such a pretty color. And can I say I just love the word 'sprite?' ; )

welldressedmaker said...

Spot on with the outfit analysis. You're a realistic nymph. That or one who teeters between the edges of two worlds.
♥ laura
the blog of worldly delights

Alexa said...

I agree, very whimsical! Looks great on you! Happy weekend Courtney!
xo

Cat said...

Love the sweet skirt ... the pleats and that glorious green color are pure perfection!

♥ Cat brideblu

Oh to Be a Muse said...

i love the skirt, especially the pleats. and that last photo is amazing!

{The Perfect Palette} said...

that skirt is a fab color!

xoxo, chrissy
The Perfect Palette

Unknown said...

Well you are certainly the most beautiful wood nymph I've ever seen! I LOVE the colour and cut of this skirt- perfect colour on you. Have a great weekend!

LyddieGal said...

I really love that skirt, the color is so gorgeous - and that last inspiration shot is soooo fab.

Chic on the Cheap

Amber said...

nymphs 4 life!

Rebecca said...

That skirt is definitely pretty, and nymph like!

Unknown said...

Love your style (as always) and the nymph pictures are perfection. Oh gosh how I wish I could afford to take up that offer with Eshakti, being broke is the pits.

Love the color of the skirt and it looks really comfortable. Can't go wrong with a blazer and sparkles on the neckline.

Um, can I steal (borrow? loan?) the black and white Nymph picture you posted - it is just divine.

<3Honeysuckelle

StyleIDnet said...

You know I love that skirt! the best color. its so unique.
You know, every time I think about pleated skirts I think about "retro" 70s, 80s.... but you reminded me of nymphs and that is where the romantic feel to these skirts come from.
Love it.

http://styleidnet.blogspot.com/
http://styleidcloset.blogspot.com/

Bonnie said...

I really love the way you paired this amazing, feminine skirt with the edgier blazer. It's a great juxtaposition!!

http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
Twitter: @GlamKitten88

Curves Ahead lifestyle blogger said...

Very romantic feel love the piece of lecture perfect way to start my Saturday :)

Style, She Wrote said...

Gorgeous pleated skirt! Love your beautiful red hair, too. xo style, she wrote

Unknown said...

SO MUCH SKIRT LOVE! and that last image is breathtaking.

xoxo

Unknown said...

I love this. I love the outfit, and I loveee the poem.

match.box.muse said...

i love the skirt! those inspirational photos are so lovely :) hope you're having a lovely weekend!

love, M
match.box.muse

Leia said...

That skirt is SO pretty!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

The color of that skirt is what gets me...It's so incredibly gorgeous!

Fashion Limbo said...

I think that skirt looks even better on you now that you wear your hair red :)

Jessica said...

Your green pleated skirt is so pretty. It is totally a little wood nymph, which I love.

And your hair looks amazing in your pics.

Ellie said...

You look incredible. I LOVE the color of that skirt!

Will you be at the IFB conference next week!?
-Ellie

JennaStevie said...

Your hair looks so gorgeous!! The colour is wonderful and the cut is perfect. I love this skirt its really pretty the pleats are great
xJennaD