Monday, October 15, 2012

Skyper

I wore this for a recent Skype interview for a postdoctoral fellowship back in New Haven. I find that wearing some kind of bold colour near my face is helpful when interviewing for things via Skype as it makes me look slightly less like a disembodied head. And, yes, I have had more than a few Skype interviews lately.

This postdoctoral fellowship application turned out to be an interesting experience for me. I had originally applied for it back in May when I was still in New Haven and, even after we left for Canada, I still thought of it as a viable opportunity for me. So I was thrilled when I was asked to interview (although a little bummed that my non-academic job duties precluded me from accepting the two day trip back to New Haven that was offered as a part of the interview process). And when I was told I had gotten the position I was also thrilled. But, after a lot of thought and anxiety-inducing “let’s figure out my life” discussions with colleagues and family and friends, I decided to turn the opportunity down. For a lot of reasons. Which I won’t actually go into here. Let’s just say I’m still casually pursuing academic work but also very enjoying my current non-academic position and feel that I made the right choice with regard to this opportunity.

dress: H&M / belt: Aldo / shoes: Steve Madden / blazer: F21 / purse: Payless

15 comments:

when BABI speaks said...

I can relate to that... do whatever makes you happy! :-) by the way, love your boots, the studs are really cool!

Babi
www.whenbabispeaks.com

LyddieGal said...

I'm of course, a little bummed that you won't be coming back to new haven, but I think I'd have made the same choice. You just moved back home, you got a job you like, and you get to be closer to you family and old friends.

And who wants to drive a uhaul cross country with two cats twice in one year?

Chic on the Cheap

welldressedmaker said...

Firstly, congratulations, even though you decided on accepting it otherwise. Next, I firmly believe in the "do what you wanna do" idea of living one's life since it's the only one one really ever has control over, right? Well, except dressing up. And I must say, I LOVE the whole edgy girly vibe this outfit has!
♥ laura
the blog of worldly delights
the shop of worldly delights

JennaStevie said...

It's great that you still feel like you made the right decision, it's hard sometimes to commit to decisions we make when there are other opportunities and everyone has their own opinion on what we should be doing.
LOVE this outfit, the orange blazer is awesome and I loooove those boots
xJennaD

Anonymous said...

The color of the blazer is gorgeous and I'm sure you made the right decision :)

Jessica said...

Congratulations. Even though you decided not to accept being offered another job lets you know how fabulous you are.

I love your entire outfit. Those shoes are amazing. I can never get enough of black studded shoes and I love your blazer too.

I had to make sure I dropped by your blog today to let you know last night I dreamed that me and a bunch of friends were out shopping, going to dinner, and a movie. You were going to join us. We were waiting for you near the entrance to the restaurant when the car you were in parked. You got out in this fabulous dress and suddenly all of these people with cameras appeared and they were all trying to take your picture. Lots of flashing lights. For some reason I knew these people were street style bloggers (I'm pretty sure there are none of those in Lexington, Kentucky by the way). It was just like you were some famous starlet with the paparazzi in tow.

Unknown said...

This is fantastic..I love the blazer and your shoes are awesome!!

Natasha ~ TashaDelrae.com

Closet Fashionista said...

Loving this look!!
And congratulations on the job even though you didn't take it! It's always good to know you're wanted :)
http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

Shybiker said...

That's a really cute outfit. Good choice on your career: follow your instinct.

Rebecca said...

I like the blazer, and it must look sharp on camera!

FASHION TALES said...

We hold a lot of meetings/interviews via Skype so I think the bold colour was a good choice. Congrats on everything even though it wasn't the offer for you at the moment, you have to do what's right for YOU! You look great by the way!xo

Anonymous said...

This blazer is bad ass!

Also, I applaud your decision to turn down the fellowship. I'm sure you made the right decision :)

xo,
Hannah
www.chillairandperfume.blogspot.com

Audrey Allure said...

I love the bright blazer!

Elle Sees said...

Skype interview....well you looked awesome!!

Alexa said...

Isn't it crazy how the job that you were expecting least turns out to be the best for you.